As an engineer I love all things that are shiny and blinky. Like many other engineers I am a cubicle dweller. I wanted to create something in my cube that would brighten up my workspace and make me smile whenever I’m working there. What follows is a series of posts that will guide you through how I designed and built my version of the LED Bridge Lamp which is based off of the LED Bridge Lamp (Universal Segment) by my friend Janis (Opossums) Jakaitis on Thingiverse here. It was a great looking project and would be the perfect addition to any cubicle in need of some blinky.
High Level Summary of Changes:
- Universal Segment Bridge Lamp with 2 horizontal (straight) sections
- Custom mini light up billboard at the top of the bridge
- Custom light shades with enclosed channels
- Custom designed bases with integrated 90lb magnets and adjustable heights for uneven surfaces
- Custom wifi enabled electronics to control the display
- Custom power supply with enclosure
- Each LED strip (2 in the bridge and 1 in the sign) an be controlled independently
You can find the 3D models I used to build this project on Thingiverse here. They are free to download, use and modify.
How long did this take to build?
- Base Height Spacer Tall (Qty 1) 6:40 min (PLA)
- Base Height Spacer (Qty 1) 2:07 min (PLA)
- Base Side (Qty 2) 4:15 min each (PLA)
- Base Side With Power Outlet (Qty 2) 4:15 min each (PLA)
- Base Center (Qty 2) 5:09 min each (PLA)
- Base Plate Mama with Cable Hole (Qty 2) 49 min each (PLA)
- Base Cap Plate (Qty 2) 1:12 min each (PLA)
- Clips (Qty 3) 10 min each (PLA)
- Base Height Extension (Qty 2) 3:07 min each (PLA)
- Electronics Tray (Qty 2) 4:06min (PLA)
- Magnet Space Filler Block (Qty 2) 1:06 min each (PLA)
- Sign Holder (Qty 1) 54 min (PLA)
- LED Light Channel Segment A (Qty 14) 1:33 min each (nGen)
- LED Light Channel Segment A with Wire Cutout (Qty 2) 1:32 min each (nGen)
- LED Light Channel Segment B (Qty 16) 1:33 min each (nGen)
- Straight LED Light Channel with Cover (Qty 2) 2:47 min each (nGen)
- Universal Segment Curved Superstructure Set (Qty 16) 2:42 min each (PLA)
- Universal Segment Straight Superstructure Set (Qty 2) 2:25 min each (PLA) — light channel from set deleted for this print
Total Number of Pieces: 74
Total Print Time: 145 hours!
Estimated 3D Modeling/Design Time: 50 hrs
Estimated Assembly Time: 12 hrs
Estimated Coding Time: 4 hrs
Estimated Testing Time: 12 hrs
Total Time: 223 hours
NOTE: The above does not include printing another 25 segments of straight superstructure and light shades, misprints, having 8 segments of assembled PLA superstructure melt by being too close to a radiator, test prints and re-prints. I estimate that I have something around 300 hours into this project.
Build Details (This section will be updated as I publish more related posts):
- LED Bridge Lamp Power Supply
- LED Bridge Lamp Base
- LED Bridge Lamp Shades
- LED Bridge Lamp Superstructure
- LED Bridge Lamp Billboard Sign
- LED Bridge Lamp Electronics
- LED Bridge Lamp Software
For additional posts related to this project check out this the ‘LED Bridge Lamp’ tag. I’ll be adding more posts giving details on how I built my version of the LED Bridge Lamp.