In SketchUp, you can import and export STL files, which are used in 3D printing. As explained in 3D Printing a Model, for a SketchUp model to become a successful 3D printout, the model needs to meet certain criteria, such as having a base and a volume and being a solid.
How do I create a STL in SketchUp?
If you are using the Web App (app.sketchup.com/app), click on the folder icon, then Export, then STL. It even works in Free! There are two ways to make STL files for 3D printing with SketchUp’s desktop program: To export your model as an STL file, install the SketchUp STL extension from the SketchUp Team.
How do I save a STL file?
To save a model or a model assembly in STL Format:
- File > Save As (Save As dialog box opens)
- From the Save as type drop-down menu select STL (*.stl)
- Click Options.
- The Export Options dialog box will display the file in a tessellated view.
- File Format selection is STL.
What program opens STL files?
7 of the best free STL file editors
- MeshLab. MeshLab is a very complete free and open source program to edit your STL files. …
- SketchUp. SketchUp, which used to be called Google SketchUp, is a 3D modeling software that now belongs to the architectural company Trimble Buildings. …
- SculptGL. SculptGL is a free 3D sculpting tool.
Can I export from SketchUp free?
The free version won’t export any of the file types you listed. SketchUp is indeed very powerful and capable of a lot of things. The free web version is much simplified compared to the desktop versions, especially Pro. The free version won’t export any of the file types you listed.
What file types can SketchUp export?
Using SketchUp Data with Other Modeling Programs or Tools
|File Type||File Extension(s)||SketchUp Pro and Shop Only?|
|Image files||.jpg , .png , .tif , .bmp , .psd , .tga , .epx , .pdf , .eps||Some file types are PRO and SHOP only|
|3D Studio (3DS) files||.3ds||PRO and SHOP needed for export|
What is the difference between Tinkercad and SketchUp?
SketchUp. Like Tinkercad, SketchUp is a browser-based design program but it is much more in-depth than Tinkercad. SketchUp also has a much steeper learning curve. … SketchUp allows you to create designs from 2D sketches and the Pro version is great for architectural work.
How do I convert STL to G code?
Converting STL Files to G-code
- Step 1: Download a conversion tool. …
- Step 2: Import your . …
- Step 3: Repair the mesh. …
- Step 4: Convert your mesh to a shape. …
- Step 5: Convert the shape to a solid. …
- Step 6: Export your solid to a . …
- Step 7: Import your file in to Fusion 360. …
- Step 8: Generate toolpaths.
How do I convert STL to OBJ?
How to Convert STL to OBJ with Spin 3D Mesh Converter Software
- Download Spin 3D Mesh Converter Software. Download Spin 3D Mesh Converter Software. …
- Import STL Files into the Program. …
- Choose an Output Folder. …
- Set the Output Format. …
- Convert STL to OBJ.
What is a 3D STL file?
An STL (Standard Tessellation Language or STereoLithography) file is a format that describes surface geometry of a 3D object without any colour, texture or other attributes. This format uses a series of linked triangles to recreate or reproduce surface geometry of the 3D model.
Can you save an assembly as an STL file?
You can set the export options when you export SolidWorks part or assembly documents as STL files. To set the STL export options: … stl) for Save as type, then click Options. Select from the options described below, then click OK.
How do you convert Sldprt to STL?
It’s very easy and fast – you just have to open your SLDPRT file in SolidWorks, click on “Save as” in the “File” menu, choose “STL file format”, and save it.